View single post by pender
 Posted: Sat Oct 8th, 2011 02:23 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pender

Mana: 

Mark wrote: Nice picture. I always thought that this ought to be called Thomas Jackson's Steroid memorial! It's a great example of how historical memory overwhelms reality.

Mark

Mark, I disagree with your assessment. " It's a great example of how historical memory overwhelms reality." In Michael Kammen's book" Mystic chords of memory" The transformation of tradition in american culture. On page 491 he writes " Most southerners remained sufficiently custom bound that public sculpture and other sorts of historic memorials had to be fairly conventional in order to win favor. In 1939, for example, when the Virginia state art commission selected a modernistic and impressionistic model for an equestrian statue of Stonewall Jackson to be erected on the battle field at Manassas, it aroused a furor. Members of the UDC and the Sons of Confederate veterans complained that the horse was too stocky and the rider looked more like U.S. Grant than Jackson. Similar episodes occured at regular intervals."

That is why, I would have to disagree with you on that one Mark. Unless you are refering to yankee memory. This would help explain why they could not stop Old Jack.

Pender

Close Window