View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sat Oct 15th, 2011 04:22 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I've heard of the Confederates using bloodhounds and there being fear among Federal  soldiers of them. But if I recall correctly that was for tracking escaped Federal POWs, nothing about on the front lines for either side using dogs as pickets. I've got a couple of books I'd like to check and I'll get back to you on that.

Edit: Sorry Pender, struck out. I was thinking Michael Sanders's Strange Tales of the Civil War and More Strange Tales of the Civil War both had chapters pertaining to animals. Turns out only More Strange Tales of the Civil War has any a chapter dealing with animals. And there are only two tales in there that deal with dogs with neither of them being about Newfies or bloodhounds. And only one of them is about a dog being present during battle, a brindle bull terrier named Sallie who was the mascot of the 11th Penn (she's represented on their monument at Gettysburg). I also thought of a couple of others (Encyclopedia of the American Civil War and Burke Davis's The Civil War: Strange & Fascinating Facts), but still no luck in either of them. Maybe Webb Garrison has something in one of his books but I'm not sure which one would be good to check.

Now I want to know where I read that thing on the bulldogs.

Last edited on Sat Oct 15th, 2011 05:26 am by Hellcat

Close Window