View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Thu Oct 20th, 2011 11:32 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

I second fedreb, Michael. In Richmond, there's the MoC, and the Confederate White House, but it's all sandwiched between hospital and university buildings downtown, so they lose their CW feel. I loved Hollywood Cemetery, tho it's in a not so nice part of town. The views of the city from there are terrific. Check out the GettysburgDaily site; they've had several posts on various CW soldiers, famous and not, buried there.

There's not really anything to see in Petersburg itself; I had a great-aunt who lived there, and even she would admit that! Pamplin is nearby there, and it's worth the trip, but they were having some issues with when they were open, so maybe you should call ahead.

If you want Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville, then you're going about an hour north up I95. If you do that, it'll be harder with a tight schedule to decide what NOT to see than what to see, since you are also within range of the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Salem Church, Guinea Station (where Stonewall Jackson died), Ellwood (where Jackson's arm is buried), and Chatham Manor (Burnside's HQ during the Fredericksburg campaign. See what I mean?

Whatever you choose, and whatever you can fit in--enjoy it!

P.S. I think it's rather fitting that a CW buff is working on the Lincoln film!

Last edited on Thu Oct 20th, 2011 11:33 pm by pamc153PA

Close Window