View single post by pender
 Posted: Wed Nov 2nd, 2011 09:49 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pender

Mana: 

I think Meade is one of the unsung heros of the union army. Consider when he took command of the AoTP it was only three days until the battle of Gettysburg. He was also facing a undefeated foe in R.E. Lee. I think his management is great at Gettysburg, think of the pressure he must of had been under, fighting on northern soil, charged with protecting the capital. What is strange today is unless you are talking to civil war buffs alot of people does not know who Meade is. It would have been interesting to see how Meade would have commanded in 1864 with out Grant. His reluctance to attack fortified positions after Gettysburg probably helped Grant to get over all command. I have stated else where IMO Meade was the best union general of the war. I know that is argumentative, but it was Meade who showed the ANV was not invincible. In closing there is a good account of Meade in Charles B. Flood's book" Lee the last years", after Appomattox on page 23 " Lee greeted Meade kindly and then said, but what are you doing with all that grey in your beard? Meade cheerfully shot back, you have to answer for most of it."

Some thoughts on Meade, Pender 

Close Window