View single post by Gettysburger
 Posted: Sun Feb 5th, 2012 12:17 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Gettysburger

Mana: 

I have to agree with all of you regarding Foote, Catton and Sears authority regarding everything about the history of the war and the tactics of specific battles.

I think the book that goes with Ken Burns DVD series is
a pretty complete History of events before and during the war.

But you really can't leave out Douglas Southall Freemans 3 volume narrative about Lee's Lieutetants from Sumter to Appomattox. Of course Freeman's biography of Lee is reportedly the most comprehensive ever written if not a
bit biased.

If you want a indulge in a different experience of education and history,
you might enjoy downloading the free podcasts from Itunes
from Yale University Open Courses.

In this series, Yale historian, Dr. David Blight, will teach about American history from 1800 through the Reconstruction Era.

He is a terrific lecturer and can bring the antebellum experience to life whether he's talking about the Missouri Compromise, the Dred Scott decison or black reconstruction
after the war.

Amazing stuff if you want to listen while driving, working out or at home from your computer.

I think the best part of this Yale series is if you are not familiar with the period of American history before the war you will learn why the war became necessary.

Possibly the most important thing I leaned is everything that happened in America before the war was leading up to the war itself. Then everything that happened post war was a result of the War between the States.

dr. thom

Close Window