View single post by cklarson
 Posted: Thu Feb 23rd, 2012 04:28 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
cklarson

Mana: 

For those who have not availed themselves of this opportunity go to http://www.nymas.org - right sidebar for my complete chapter on the Tennessee River campaign from my definitive biography of Anna Ella Carroll, political/legal advisor to Lincoln and military secret agent.

Aside from having clan connections to Carroll, I am a cousin of ADM Andrew Hull Foote, Grant's co-commander. Via the New York Times "Disunion" blog, a must read (google: (Disunion + opinionator), I am getting more and more frustrated over the distortion of these facts:

1. Foote and his crews took Fort Henry alone. Grant arrived about 3 days later, detained by bad weather and roads.

2. Grant was not the sole genius of the Tennessee River campaign. There were many officials involved in its planning including Halleck, Foote, Bates, Eads, Lincoln, Stanton, Thomas A. Scott, Wade, Carroll and secret agent Lemuel D. Evans. To solely credit Grant is an unprofessional take on any combined operation, that's why they're called "combined" which by definition means more than one person is involved. Having reread some initial sources, it's clearer to me that McClellan and Buell stalled progress in TN, as Halleck should have been given overall command earlier. Up until January 25, Buell's plan was in place, because Buell was McClellan's protege. But Halleck had been planning the TN River campaign all along quietly, same as Lincoln secretly, based on Carroll's plan.  But that's another story for after I do more research on decision-making during March and early April.

Thanks for your interest,

C. Kay Larson, author, Great Necessities: The Life, Times, and Writings of Anna Ella Carroll, 1815-1894

Close Window