View single post by tsmee
 Posted: Sun Apr 1st, 2012 08:30 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
tsmee

Mana: 

Hi all,

New to the forum, hoping to understand a little more about my ancestor's role in the Army during the civil war by trying to understand how enlisted rank was established. 

My 3rd Great Grandfather, George Bailey Weible, was mustered in Co. C of the 154th Illinois Infantry on Feb 17, 1865 as a Sergeant, and died while still in service at a rank of First Seargeant on June 25, 1865.

My questions are these:

1.) I can find no record of prior military service.  Why would an individual be mustered in as a Sergeant, and then promoted to First Sergeant so quickly?  It appears he only served four months.

2.) I am trying to assemble a replica of his uniform to display for family reunions and the like.  What would have been most reasonable for headgear and uniform wear for this time period.  (Kepi or forage, kind of coat, buttons, etc.)

3.) Are there any appropriate organizations related to this unit or related that might be good for me to become familiar with or involved in as his ancestor?

Any help appreciated, and my apologies if I haven't picked the correct forum.  I have attached a photo of old George that looks like was in his Army coat.  Maybe this helps.

PS-Just returned from the 150th Shiloh reenactment.  Very cool.

Attachment: GeorgeBaileyWeible.jpg (Downloaded 55 times)

Close Window