View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sat Apr 7th, 2012 02:07 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

This has been discussed in other threads and I totally agree. I look back at last year, when the 150th anniversary of Ft. Sumter came up it was all over the news. I remember seeing the national news, local news, local radio, and local paper having all kinds of articles leading up to and on the annivesary of Ft. Sumter with comments of all sorts of events supposed to be occuring for the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. TCM ran a full month of movies somehow related to the war last April (which started that thread that ended up on movies we'd have liked to be added). And we had the thread that posted the article on books being released or re-released in honor of the 150th anniversary. But by the time the anniversary of First Bull Run (First Manassas) rolled around I don't remember there being any sort of mention about the war in the news unless it was more local news (certainly not my local news) or sources that catered to folks interested in the war.

I know someone said the focus in '61 through '65 was more on the military side of the war and since then the focus has shifted more to the political side of the war. Fine, but wouldn't this be the perfect time to bring that more to the public at large? If the war is not appearing at all really in the news then really is there much of a chance of introducing either to the public at large?

Close Window