View single post by Savez
 Posted: Wed Apr 11th, 2012 01:09 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Savez
$user_title

Mana: 

I think once the election is over there will be more emphasis put on it. What I am disappointed with is the resurgence in the "treasury of virtue" I've seen several articles in popular Civil War magazines pushing this agenda. Articles stating "It time for the South to admit it was wrong" and garbage like that. I knew it would happen. I predicted it. Just disappointed to see so many historians jumping on the bandwagon.

I understand the reasons for keeping modern politics out of this board but I don't see how it is possible to talk about Civil War politics and not bring up modern politics. For example the Federal government suing Alabama for its immigration law. Clear violation of states rights. Obama selling isslands, owned by the state of Alaska, to Russia despite Alaska's protest. Another violation of states rights. A strong central government is something the South was against, something many of us are still against today. Sorry just my two cents worth. But back to the 150th. I think it will get better especially when the anniversary of the overrated battle of Gettysburg rolls around.

Close Window