View single post by Gettysburger
 Posted: Thu Apr 12th, 2012 06:18 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Gettysburger

Mana: 

Texas Defender, I also agree totally with you.

I don't want anyone to think I believe the battle of gettysburg was any of those things you mentioned history(John B.Bachelder) has said it was.

For me, the turning point or one of many major turning points were reached at least a year prior to Gettysburg. I think Donelson and Henry or Shiloh, with the death of A.S. Johnston, or the fall of New Orleans or when the naval blockade was put in place were true turning points in the early part of the war.

On the other hand, you have to agree that the Army of Northern Virginia never did recover from the losses it sustained at Gettysburg. Or the effect on the south's morale
and Lee's confidence as commander would ever be like it was prior to that battle and the northern campaign that brought the ANova into Pennsylvania.

Notwithstanding the military and strategic implications of the battle, I believe Lincoln's address at Gettysburg in November '63 has done more to make that battle famous than any other single event of the 3 days of combat in July '63.

dr. t.

Close Window