View single post by ebg
 Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2012 07:17 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ebg

Mana: 

Article 2-section 8 of the Constitution states:

Before he enter on the execution of his office, he shall take the following oath or affirmation:-"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of the President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, perserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

What exactly then is The United States Constitution, so that a president can "perserve, protect and defend" it?

Or more importantly, where in the Constitution does it explain what the scope, purpose, and intent of the Constitution itself is??

For that, we turn to the Preamble of the Constitution.

It is STRESSED, that the Preamble does not grant power, but shows only scope, purpose, and intent of the Constitution.

The Preable states: "We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union..."; such that, the Constitution defines itself as being a "Union".

By applied meaning of the Preamble, President Lincoln had a Constitutional duty to perserve the "Union" as stated by the executive powers of the Presidential Oath (Article 2-section 8).

Close Window