View single post by ebg
 Posted: Fri Apr 13th, 2012 01:55 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ebg

Mana: 

Wordsmith wrote:
          For historian Williams, it was his far-ranging foresight.  According to Williams, “Grant was fundamentally superior to Lee because he had a modern mind and Lee did not.  Lee was the last of the great old fashioned generals and Grant was the first of the great moderns.”  ."

---- Wordsmith

I have read this comment before, and I have to disagree with it. Lee didn't have the men or material to "slug it out in a death grip struggle of annihilation ". He had to concentrate his forces against the weakest elements of the Army of the Potomac. He couldn't fight the Army of the Potomac on a broad front. Lee avoided for almost 2 years before Gettysburg the raw power of a superior force delivery a knockout blow. Lee couldn't lock into a continious battle with the Union Army.

Lee know what was going on in the battle field, and came very close to winning the Civil War for the South. Lee took the least of what he had in men & material and made the most of it. Lee would not be so Victorious, if he was "old fashion" in his thinking. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say to his troops after the ANV surrender at Appomattox that it was "the superiority in numbers of men & equipment of the Union Army that defeated the ANV??

Last edited on Fri Apr 13th, 2012 06:13 pm by ebg

Close Window