View single post by Old Blu
 Posted: Mon May 7th, 2012 05:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Old Blu

Mana: 

Mark says-

We know that Stuart was not doing his job,

I beg to differ.  According to the Original Records of the War of Rebellian, Stuart did EXACTLY what he was told to do, unless you have a legitimate source that can tell me different.

Here are mine.

HEADQUARTERS, June 22, 1863.
Major General J. E. B. STUART,
Commanding Cavalry:
GENERAL: I have just received your note of 7, 45 this morning to General Longstreet. I judge the efforts of the enemy yesterday were to arrest our progress and ascertain our whereabouts. Perhaps he is satisfied. Do you know where he is and what he is doing? I fear he will steal a march on us, and get across the Potomac before we are aware. If you find that he is moving northward, and that two brigades can guard the Blue Ridge and take care of your rear, you can move with the other three into Maryland, and take position on General Ewell`s right, place yourself in communication with him, guard his flank, keep him informed of the enemy`s movements, and collect all the supplies you can for the use of the army. One column of General Ewell`s army will probably move toward the Susquehanna by the Emmitsburg route; another by Chambersburg. Accounts from him last night state that there was no enemy west of Frederick. A cavalry force (about 100) guarded the Monocacy Bridge, which was barricaded. You will, of course, take charge of [A. G.] Jenkins` brigade, and give him necessary instructions. All supplies taken in Maryland must be by authorized staff officers for their respective departments-by no one else. They will be paid for, or receipts for the same given to the owners. I will send you a general order on this subject, which I wish you to see is strictly complied with.
I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
R. E. LEE,
General.

http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/sources/recordView.cfm?Content=045/0913

And here-

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA, June 23, 1863-5 p. m.
Major General J. E. B. STUART,
Commanding Cavalry:
GENERAL: Your notes of 9 and 10. 30 a. m. to-day have just been received. As regards the purchase of tobacco for your men, supposing that Confederate money will not be taken, I am willing for your commissaries or quartermasters to purchase this tobacco and let the men get it from them, but I can have nothing seized by the men.
If General Hooker`s army remains inactive, you can leave two brigades to watch him, and withdraw with the three others, but should he not appear to be moving northward, I think you had better withdraw this side of the mountain to-morrow night, cross at Shepherdstown next day, and move over to Fredericktown.
You will, however, be able to judge whether you can pass around their army, without hinderance, doing them all the damage you can, and cross the river east of the mountains. In either case, after crossing the river, you must move on and feel the right of Ewell`s troops, collecting information, provisions, &c.
Give instructions to the commander of the brigades left behind, to watch the flank and rear of the army, and (in the event of the enemy leaving their front) retire from the mountains west of the Shenandoah, leaving sufficient pickets to guard the passes, and bringing everything clean along the Valley, Closing upon the rear of the army. As regards the movements of the two brigades of the enemy moving toward Warrenton, the commander of the brigades to be left in the mountains must do what he can to counteract them, but I think the sooner you cross into Maryland, after to-morrow, the better.
The movements of Ewell`s corps are as stated in my former letter. Hill`s first division will reach the Potomac to-day, and Longstreet will follow to-morrow.
Be watchful and circumspect in all your movements.
I am, very respectfully and truly, yours,
R. E. LEE,
General.

http://ehistory.osu.edu/osu/sources/recordView.cfm?Content=045/0923

Lee had a brigade of cavalry (Imboden) that was attached to the ANV HQ, but it was generally considered the least experienced and poorest cavalry outfit in the army.

Least experience and poorest in the army?  Source, please.  You have gone too far now it is time to show where you got this.  Also, Imboden did EXACTLY what HE was ordered to do.

General Lees orders to Imboden which were carried out to a t.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA, June 7, 1863.

Brigadier General J. D. IMBODEN,

Commanding Northwestern Brigade, via Staunton:

GENERAL: In view of operations in the Shenandoah Valley, I desire you to attract the enemy`s attention in Hampshire County, and to proceed down to Romney, or such other point as you may consider best calculated for the purpose. After leaving a sufficient guard on the Shenandoah Mountain, you can use the rest of your command for the purpose specified. In attracting their attention and detaining whatever force they may have at New Creek, Cumberland, Cacapon, &c., you will, of course, do them all the injury in your power by striking them a damaging blow at any point where opportunity offers, and where you deem most practicable. It will be important if you can accomplish it, to destroy some of the bridges, so as to prevent communication and the transfer of re-enforcements to Martinsburg. After accomplishing what you can in Hampshire, should you find it practicable or advantageous, you can co-operate with any troops that you may find operating in the Valley. Forward to the commanding officer of the force there any information that you may deem important, and comply with any requisition on his part.

I desire you to move into Hampshire as soon as possible. Let me know the time of your departure and the time of your expected arrival. In connection with this purpose, it is important that you should obtain, for the use of the army, all the cattle that you can. Communicate with the agents of the Commissary Department you may find purchasing in the country west of Staunton, and let them make arrangements to assist you in purchasing and taking care of the cattle. Major [B. P.] Noland, of that department, is now in that region, making arrangements for cattle. I wish you to communicate with him, if practicable. I hope you will also be able, while in that country, to collect recruits for your brigade, both cavalry and infantry, and bring them out with you.

I am, very respectfully, &c.,

R. E. LEE,
General.

Last edited on Mon May 7th, 2012 06:09 pm by Old Blu

Close Window