View single post by Gettysburger
 Posted: Tue May 8th, 2012 07:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Gettysburger

Mana: 

With the absence of Stuart, I believe it was part of Jenkins brigade that lead Ewell's way south from Carlisle to Gettysburg on June 30th. John Buford talked to Reynolds about encountering gray cavalry in Heidlersburg on the night of the 30th.

Other elements of Jenkins cavalry were probably the first to fire on Union infantry well north of Gettysburg early on July 1.

Again, some of Jenkins detachments served provost duty  around Lee's HQ on July 1 only to disappear from record on the 2nd and reappear with Stuart's forces at ECF on the afternoon of the 3rd.

We know Jenkins was wounded on the 2nd so he must have been been engaged but exactly where is unknown to me?

With the absence of Stuart on July 2 and Albert Jenkins wounded, Ewell was forced to use other infantry units to serve picket duty to guard the Hanover and Carlisle roads that day.

Possibly if Stuart has appeared on July 2, and the infantry units serving cavalry duty had been available to aid Ewell's forces on that second day of battle, maybe the Culps and Cemetary hill assaults would have gone better?

I agree with the prior posts, Jenkins cavalry was unproven to Gen. Lee and prior to Gettysburg acted only as partisan rangers.

The battle for Gettysburg is full of breakdowns in command
that we are familiar with. I think this one concerning Jenkins and Stuart and Lee is particularly interesting.

dr. T.

Close Window