View single post by Widow
 Posted: Thu Nov 23rd, 2006 06:52 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Widow

Mana: 

Howdy from SW France, Steve,
Glad to see that you found "High Tide at Gettysburg" a good read. Tucker contended that the Confederate high-water mark wasn't the stone wall on Cemetery Ridge, but the Confederate assault on Culp's Hill. I don't have the book with me to check the details.
I'm still battling my way through the Wilderness, it's so gruesome and terrible that I can read only ten pages or so at a time. Gordon Rhea's commentaries on mistakes made -- on both sides -- help a great deal for me to grasp the significance of the events.
A few weeks ago I marched around Culpeper County, VA, with my Bull Run RT. The briar patches on the banks of the Rappahannock were actually briar snakes that grab you and bite with foot-long fangs. In the Wilderness the briars and dense shrubs were much worse than what I saw.
The jungle in the Venezuelan cloud forest is not nearly as bad as the Wilderness. The tall trees with huge leaves block the sunlight from reaching the ground, so it's always early dusk, and there isn't much undergrowth. In the Wilderness alll the big trees had been cut years before, so the new growth, coming up at the same time, competed for sunlight, sort of like a traffic jam of many cars trying to squeeze onto the same narrow street. I'll take the jungle any time. No briar snakes there!
Happy Thanksgiving to everybody. It's 8:50 a.m. on Thursday morning, so this post should appear at 2:50 a.m. EST.
Patty, aka the Widow Wheeler

Close Window