View single post by barrydancer
 Posted: Fri Jun 29th, 2012 09:10 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
barrydancer

Mana: 

Barlow wrote:
While reading various posts, I took a look at the books offered by the LSU Press and one caught my eye:

"God and General Longstreet" by Thomas Connelly and Barbara Bellows.  So I ordered it.  Very interesting read but very academic.  Page 40:

"The wartime and postwar mentality of Virginians reflected the inbred conceit that characterized citizens of the Dominion from colonial times.  it was part of Virginia's heritage to believe that his state was the Cradle of Democracy.  ...In war and peace, clearly Virginians wanted to be first.  They sought the best of both worlds--to be the sorrowful, reluctants lovers of Union who were dragooned into the secessionist camp.  At the same time, they claimed to be the leaders of that war against the Old Flag.  Eggleston observed that without Virginia's "pluck and pith there could have been no war at all worth writing or talking about."...In fact, one could make a strong argument that the pricipal driving force behind the entire Lost Cause mentality came from Virginia...From Appomattox until well into the twentieth century, Virginia authors fashioned an image of how an unwilling Old Dominion was forced into the Civil War by the hotheads of sister states in Dixie.  Paradoxically, however, if one examines the literary and commemorative organization of the Lost Cause mentality, the power structure rested in Virginia."

Most interesting.  The book is 149 pages with a controversty per page.  Good Book.

That's a good book, though I haven't read it in years. You might like Connelly's The Marble Man: Robert E. Lee and His Image in Amercan Society if you haven't read it. He does a good job of analyzing the deification of Lee within the Lost Cause mythology. Some of his criticisms of Lee are a bit unfair at times, if I recall correctly, but it's also been years since I read it, as well.

Close Window