View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Tue Sep 4th, 2012 07:06 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

dlaurencerogers-

You are absolutely right that: "Facts are facts." I believe that the true facts will show that you have a penchant for making factual errors, as well as grandiose claims about the importance of the Birneys.

Lets examine some of the: "Facts" that you have put forth so far. First of all, you asserted that the 45th MA assaulted Ft. Wagner. You didn't know that it was the 54th, or who its commander was. Second, you claimed that Union troops won: "Great victories" in Central Florida, when they lost the only two significant battles that took place there. These inaccuracies were edited out of your original posting, and other modifications were made, but only after the errors were called to your attention by Hellcat and myself.

One ridiculous assertion remains in your original posting, which is that southerners considered that one drop of black blood made one : "A slave." To many in that time, one drop of black blood made a person BLACK, but not a slave. As previously pointed out, there were many free blacks living in the states that seceded in 1860 and 1861. Some of them actually owned black slaves themselves.

In another posting, you claimed that James G. Birney is considered the founder of the new Republican Party. Many people were involved with that, and if any person should be considered the founder, it would be Alvan E. Bovay. Bovay was an attorney in Ripon, WI, having arrived in 1850. As early as 1852, he visited Horace Greeley in NYC and proposed that a new political party be formed. He also proposed that it be called the: "Republican" Party. Mr. Greeley was supportive of the idea (He also claimed to have proposed the name: "Republican.")

Historians generally consider that the new Republican Party was formed on February 28, 1854 in a meeting in the Congregational Church in Ripon, WI. At that time, the Kansas-Nebraska Act was being considered in Congress. Bovay called for a new party to be formed (Based on the sole issue of slavery) if the Act passed. It did, and the plan went forward. (Alvan Bovay later served as a major in the 19th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry).

Wisconsin and the Republican Party - Wisconsin Historical Society

Alvin Bovay-A Founder Of The Republican Party | Grand Old Party

In one of your postings, you claimed that a fight was inevitable because of the duelist qualities of men like Jefferson Davis and Howell Cobb (Neither of whom actually fought any duels). But in reality, the southerners would have been happy to achieve their independence without having to fight for it. To this end, the new Provisional Confederate Government sent peace commissioners to WDC in March of 1861. Their mission was to attempt to purchase federal property in the seceded states. They were rebuffed by Mr. Lincoln and Mr. Seward.

In the north at this time, there was considerable sentiment to let the: "Wayward sisters" leave peacefully. That of course ended after Ft. Sumter was attacked. As I have said many times on this forum, the wise course for the Confederates in SC was to wait until April 15th, when Major Anderson told them that he would have to leave the fort due to lack of provisions.

As for your claim that James G. Birney: "Represented" the Cherokees- I can find no reference for him acting as an attorney representing the Cherokee Nation. When William Wirt was defending the Cherokees before the Supreme Court in 1831 and 1832, Birney was still a slaveholder. Still, you claim that it was he who: "Launched" the Abolitionist Movement, beginning in 1826. He did not free his slaves and announce that he was an abolitionist until 1834. Other prominent figures were in the: "Movement" long before then.

The issue of Mr. Lincoln's attempts to advance compensated emancipation I believe have been covered adequately in my previous posting. As previously stated, Mr. Lincoln could make no headway with that idea with the powerful people in the northern or border states. Attempting to blame this on: "Jefferson Davis and his followers" is an absurdity.

When you continually make factual errors, it tends to damage the credibility of anything that you might say after that. You seem to be a person who is often wrong, but never in doubt. If you are an educator in the field of history, then I feel sorry for the students, and also for the parents and/or taxpayers who are funding their education.

Close Window