View single post by sgtredleg
 Posted: Thu Sep 6th, 2012 09:39 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
sgtredleg
Life NRA, CW Trust, VFW member

Mana: 

I also posted this on another forum:

Hey all,
I'm looking for the advice of you Gettysburg Veterans. I'm trying to organize my trip to the Gettysburg Battlefield for the 150th. I've only been there once and it was a rather quick overview only. This time I'll be by myself and can take 4 or 5 days going through things.
Since it will be the 150th I know it will be crowded. I would like to rent a car and do the auto tour and try to get some Ranger guided walks/tours in as well.
I'm physically up to moderately difficult walking and hiking, but I want to relax as well.
What places are definite must sees that you would not miss. How about those out of the way hikes where you can solo it for a private viewing/photo op. Are any of the commercial tours worth doing instead of fighting through the tourist auto traffic? What time of day is best for avoiding the crowds and viewing the battlefield?
What about the town itself? Where would be a good place to park and spend a day walking through Gettysburg? Any favorite Pubs, Restaurants or museums to take advantage of?
This may be the last opportunity I have to immerse myself into the Gettysburg phenomena. I want it to be a one-of-kind memory that I will be able to cherish for the rest of my days.
So how about it afficiondos? What is your advice?

Close Window