View single post by LoyaltyOfDogs
 Posted: Mon Oct 15th, 2012 03:36 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
LoyaltyOfDogs

Mana: 

Sounds like a wonderful trip to Gettysburg! (I especially like the biscuits for the dogs on the monuments. It's touching to see Sallie, in particular, being remembered by a new generation of visitors.) Here are two great presentations you may want to consider taking in whenever you have a chance to visit again. "An Evening With the Painting" is a lecture and extended viewing of the restored Cyclorama that includes a behind-the-scenes, close-up look at the construction of its massive framework and the diorama that provides its 3D appearance. This program is held only a few times throughout the year, after the museum closes for the day, but if it is offered while you're in town it's well worth the price of admission, which I seem to recall was about $20 or maybe a bit more. The other program is "Songs and Stories of a Civil War Hospital," presented free of charge on Saturday evenings during the summer at Christ Lutheran Church on Chambersburg Street, which was a hospital during and after the battle. The musicians and historical interpreters are first-rate, and the stories they tell give a dramatic sense of the experiences of the soldiers, their families, and the nurses and townspeople who cared for the wounded. Just recalling the reading of Walt Whitman's poem "Come Up From the Fields, Father" still brings tears to my eyes. Here's a link to the Civil War hospital program's Web site: http://www.candlelightatchrist.org.

Close Window