View single post by Widow
 Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2006 02:49 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Widow

Mana: 

Hello, David of the large ATM card,

Your description of the Lost Cause is the clearest I've ever read.  Like Doc, I've been mystified by it ever since I "enlisted" in the Civil War last year.

I can understand why the losers consoled themselves that way.  They had suffered and lost so much, far more than God should have allowed.  They had to rationalize their humiliating defeat somehow.  "It wasn't us, it was them.  We were the good guys."  Same concept as wanting to go down in a blaze of glory rather than compromise a political principle.

Longstreet was accused of losing the Battle of Gettysburg singlehandedly.  His defense: "I thought the Yankees had something to do with it."

It must be hard to give up one's basic beliefs, especially when a hated enemy hammers on everything you hold dear.  The Civil War was not just a case of one king raiding another's territory.  It was one culture against another, and the winning culture ended up practically obliterating the other side's social structure.

I've never been in the South except visits to Miami and a weekend at Chickamauga, so I don't really know what I'm talking about.  Moreover, I don't really know what they're talking about.  Do people still believe in the Lost Cause?  After all this time?

Doc, thanks for opening this topic.  And Mr. ATM, thanks for starting us off in a good direction.

Patty

Close Window