View single post by Doc C
 Posted: Mon Dec 4th, 2006 11:18 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Doc C

Mana: 

Again, agree wholeheartedly with your comments Patty. The truth/facts are always subject to opinion. Long time ago learned the definition of history is his story.

Freedom of speech no matter what the subject matter is the cornerstone of our country and one's opinion is sacred. However, seems that at times society allows "those people" to get by with their hateful dialogue without any reponse. You got it right when you said we have more pressing issues for today than the cbf.

Over the years my opinions on the cw have changed dramatically. Growing up in Louisiana thought only the south was brave, strong and right (in their belef of states rights, invasion but not slavery). Remember vividly my grandmothers' description of people from north of the mason-dixon line (initially not a boundary between north and south but a boundary survey circa 1800 between Md, Pa, Del) , as "them yankees". However, with time, hopefully maturity (you could get takers from my wife and kids) and research have learned that both sides had extremely brave individuals who fought for a cause which they were willing to risk their lives for. Also, discovering through my geneology research that I have more ancestors who fought for the union than the csa has also served to change my view. To paraphrase Shelby Foote in a cspan interview, we'll all be better off if the south realizes that it was probably best that the union be preserved and the north that the south fought bravely for a cause they trully beleved in.

Yep, the eastern shore surely was see-sech. Home of Franklin Buchanan, Lloyd Tilghman, Charles & John Winder. An interesting story is of Judge Carmichael who was arrested by union troops in Talbot Co. for his southern sympathies. Robert E. Lee had numerous family ties to this area. Also home of many smugglers supplying the western shore. Birthplace of Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglas.

Doc C

Close Window