View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Tue Feb 12th, 2013 11:15 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

I'm sorry TD but when I look at his actions as a politician and in his post war writing I see nothing more than a politician, a good one yes, but a typical back room dealing politician who knew how to use connections to his advantage. I firmly believe he was angling for more political clout & power from the start of his political career.

When I read of his actions in the Mexican War I see a competent officer who used politics to get himself appointed Col. He was already adept at playing politics and did so. He did his job competently and IMO made himself a war hero... when he did nothing more than his job.

The one period in his career where I believe he did an honestly good job was as Sect of War. In fact I might go so far as to say he may have been the best this Nation has had.

I've read Cooper's work and I didn't generally care for it. What I did like was his showing Davis as human & that he didn't micromanage the CS to death. It was IMO well written but IMO failed to dig deep enough into Davis & his political manuevering pre war and IMO failed to highlight how his postwar bitterness changed him. IMO Cooper started out adoring Davis and made certain his biography only made him a more adoring fan.

Close Window