View single post by MildMan
 Posted: Wed Feb 20th, 2013 01:09 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
MildMan
Just Testing Ideas

Mana: 

On a recent snowy day I took the time to read all the secession proclamations and the reasons for secession provided in separate documents by some seceding states. I found six that gave specific reasons for secession, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, Florida and Alabama. You can see four of these documents at http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html

I have heard it rationalized that southern secession was all about states rights. That is true, but the state’s right of most concern to those writing explanations for secession, was the right to slavery. All six of the states that prepared formal documents to support or provide reasons for secession, mention threats to the continuation of salary as the first specific complaint against Northern States. I suspect that if I also read the minutes of secession conventions for other states, I would find that the other states also found threats to slavery as the primary complaint against the north.

So it may be popular to characterize secession and the creation of The Confederacy as a noble cause, but the noble cause they were fighting for was slavery.

Yes, I understand that most Americans at that time, North and South viewed negroes as an inferior race. However, slavery had already been abolished in most civilized countries. It was viewed as an evil in too many places for secessionists to seriously hold the moral high ground in their defense of slavery.

So I have to agree with Grant when he said, "I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause thought that was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse."

By the way, the South Carolina Secession document lays out a nice case for the legal justification for secession. Quite convincing actually.

Close Window