View single post by MildMan
 Posted: Sat Feb 23rd, 2013 10:13 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
MildMan
Just Testing Ideas

Mana: 

Good to hear from you!

Do you find it odd that the Cherokees sided with any white man? After all they were not treated well by Andrew Jackson and the government of Georgia.

Yes it is interesting that even the Cherokees mention northern resistance to slavery as a reason to secede.

And to respond to your question…

The South Carolina secession document makes a number of assertions. I found most compelling its recount of revolutionary period history, rather than the expression of a long list of grievances that it makes later.

1) The Declaration of Independence declared the colonies “free and independent states”
2) The D of I states that when "form of government becomes destructive of the ends for which it was established, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new government."
3) The peace treaty with Great Britain declared that the colonies are “free, sovereign and independent states.”
4) The constitution was agreed to by Separate sovereign states, and had not all the states agreed to the constitution they would have remained sovereign states
5) The amendment that states that “the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States, respectively, or to the people.”

In 1869, the Supreme Court, I assume based on its interpretation of the constitution, ruled that secession was illegal at the time South Carolina seceded in 1860. I have not read this decision so I don’t know if it addressed the five items above. Still the point about the right to abolish and institute a new government is hard to argue with.

Close Window