View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Mon Feb 25th, 2013 12:29 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Mildman-

Many have speculated that the institution of slavery would have died out in the U.S. on its own if there had been no Civil War. Perhaps it would have before the turn of the 20th Century, but we'll never know.

I do not believe that the institution of slavery was on the road to extinction before Jefferson Davis was born. Mr. Davis was born in 1808. The chart on the link below shows that the number of slaves in the U.S. increased from 1.1 million to 3.95 million in the years from 1810 to 1860.

Slavery in the United States | Economic History Services
  For those interested in learning more about the institution of slavery in the U.S., this source will reward study.

Slavery continued because the plantation system made money for the owners. Money has always been the driving force in our society. I assign no higher moral standing to those in the north at that time. I believe that if the large plantation system had been viable in the northern states, that slavery would have continued on a large scale there.

As far as slavery being: "The way the world was" goes, it certainly was the reality in the southern states in 1860. It was still the reality in much of the rest of the world after it was abolished in the U.S. in December of 1865, as the timeline on abolition of slavery on the link below shows:

Abolition of slavery timeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  This source chronicles when slavery was abolished in different places in the world from ancient times until 2007. At the end, it says: "While now OFFICIALLY illegal in all nations, slavery or practices akin to it continue today in many countries throughout the world."

Last edited on Mon Feb 25th, 2013 08:59 pm by Texas Defender

Close Window