View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sat Jun 1st, 2013 10:26 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Unfortunately to a certain extent I agree with Burnside's activities towards the press, but not because he was trying to suppress voices of dissent. I'm looking at it from a different angle, one I doubt Burnside considered. Some of the best spies of the war weren't spies at all, they were newspapers. You can look at stories of generals getting ahold of the other sides newspapers to find out what's going on in the opposing army. And that seemed to continue throughout the war. Hell, it still happens today. My baby sister is active duty Navy and I saw in the last few years where she would say her ship was going to deploy, but couldn't tell us where to because of orders to keep that a secret. Only to discover the exact destination from national news the day her ship set sail. Obviously someone talked and the news agencies saw no possible problems in telling where the ship was going even though their shows could be picked up internationally and anyone who might want to consider an attack on the ship would know where to look

Close Window