View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Mon Jun 3rd, 2013 01:29 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Actually, TD, he apparently did that twice. According to the entry in The Encyclopedia of the American Civil War after his defeat at Beauregard's hands which forced him to fall back to Bermuda Hundred, Butler's men were gradually detailed to Grant and Butler himself returned to administrative duties. During this period he cleaned up Norfolk to prevent yellow fever outbreaks.

On the subject of yellow fever in New Orleans it appears, according to the article, that he went beyond the road ways. According to the article:

Butler's iron-fisted civic control prevented the usual outbreak of yellow fever. Butler ordered ships arriving from infected ports quarantined. He enforced rules of cleanliness and organized wagons to pick up and dispose refuse.

Gibboney's Scandals of the Civil War says this of the subject:

To prevent the malaria which plagud the port in the summer, he instituted a comprehensive city sanitation program and banned entry of ships coming from locales where the disease was active.

Now I don't know enough about malaria or yellow fever to know if it's a communicable infectious disease. I don't even know if malaria and yellow fever are the same thing or separate diseases. I've always understood they are the same thing and are transmitted through mosquito bites, which wasn't discovered until the 20th century. So I don't know if the quarantines were of any use, though with what they may have known about the disease at the time the quarantine was not a wasted effort. Certainly the efforts at sanitation weren't wasted.

On the subject of the womens order there is absolutely no way I am going to defend Butler for that. As I said in my first post it could be interpreted as giving Federal soldiers carte blanche to rape the women of New Orleans. There is no where in General Orders, No. 28 which says anything of that nature, that's just an interpretation. But as you say, what constitutes contempt is decided by the soldiers and they would also be the ones to decide how they could treat any woman they decided was acting in a contemptible way.

Close Window