View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Tue Jun 25th, 2013 03:40 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Since the Gatling Gun and the Agar Gun are both mentioned on this thread, it can be pointed out that there is a convergence of sorts between the two weapons on this date.

On this date in 1861, the Agar Gun was demonstrated in WDC to three Cabinet members, five generals, and one governor (It had been demonstrated to Mr. Lincoln on the previous day). Some of the witnesses were impressed with the weapon, but the same can't be said for those running the Army's Ordnance Department. They deemed the gun impractical.

Agar gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More on the Gatling Gun, the Agar Gun, and other rapid fire weapons used during the Civil War:

History of the Civil War

On this date in 1876, George Armstrong Custer met his end at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. Custer had left behind some Gatling Guns because he feared that they would slow him down and allow the Indians he was pursuing to: "Get away."

It is unclear whether or not the presence of a few Gatling Guns would have changed the outcome of that battle. Different historians have different opinions on that question.

The Guns Col. Custer Left Behind As 7th Cavalry Looked For Indians By Ernest M

What is clear is that Colonel Custer died in a target rich environment. Just perhaps if he had brought those guns, he might have survived the battle. If that had happened, he might have had the opportunity to write more books such as his: MY LIFE ON THE PLAINS: OR PERSONAL EXPERIENCES WITH INDIANS (1874). We just might have seen titles such as: "WHY I BROUGHT MY GATLING GUNS TO THE LITTLE BIGHORN", or perhaps: "MY LONG POLITICAL CAREER."

My Life on the Plains: Or Personal Experiences With Indians (Classic Reprint):

Last edited on Tue Jun 25th, 2013 08:10 pm by Texas Defender

Close Window