View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Fri Jul 26th, 2013 04:57 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Ok, the full letter of the link I posted last night reads (as it appears on pages 495 to 496:

Letter from the Acting Secretary of State to the Secretary of the Navy. transmitting extract regarding mock sale of the steamer Georgian.

DEPARTMENT OF STATE,
Washington, April 17, 1865.

SIR: I have the honor to transmit herewith for your information an extract from consular dispatch No. 21, from the U.S. consul at Toronto, relative to movements and designs of rebel desperadoes and pirates temporarily residing in Canada, and beg respectfully to invite your careful attention to the consideration of the information therein communicated.

I have the honor to be, sir, your obedient servant,

W. Hunter,
Acting Secretary.

Hon. Gideon Welles
Secretary of the Navy.

[Enclosure.--Extract.]

U.S. CONSULATE
Toronto April 7, 1865.

SIR: * * * The sale of the steamer Georgian,which was transferred to G. T. Denison, the account of which I communicated to the Department in dispatch No. 5, was a mock sale; that the money for the purpose was furnished, in the first place, by Colonel Thompson, but that some difficulty occurring between Dr. Bates (the purchaser) and Thompson, the boat was taken out of Bates's hands and transferred to this G. T. Denison. The boat was now lying at Collingwood [Ontario], and being altered for the purpose, as it was said, of carrying more freight, and that a new mast was being put in her. She was intended to sail among the fishing vessels of the United States to attack and destroy them. Many parties had left Toronto and gone up to Collingwood and its vicinity who designed to ship as a crew; that the ostensible owner (Denison) was to go in the boat at the time she was to leave for the fishing banks, and was to be set ashore by the crew, so that in the event the boat should be taken by the United States he might claim her back as having been forcibly taken out of his possession. Larry McDonald was to sail in her, but whether to command he or not he could not say.

The boat was to sail within ten or fifteen days, but her first trip would be to Owen Sound [Ontario] and other places, for freight.

Enclosed I transmit a copy of a letter from Mr. Bennett Burley to Dr. Bates, the purchaser of the steamer Georgian, referring in distinct terms to the manufacture of torpedoes and Greek fie. A copy of this letter I have sent to Mr. Russell, U. S. district attorney, Detroit. The original is in possession of Mr. Harrison. It was given to Mr. Harrison by Hyarns. I have just seen Mr. Spence, and he informs me that he seized the steamer Georgian yesterday. Copy of letter enclosed from on steamer Georgian.

With great respect, I am, your obedient servant,

D. THURSTON
U. S. Consul.

Hon. WM. H. Seward
Secretary of State, Washington

[Subenclosure]

GUELPH [ONTARIO, CANADA],
October 17, 1864.

MY DEAR SIR: Everything is going ahead finely, and I anticipate having the things finished early, perhaps this week; anyhow I the fore part of next. Probably I will be in Toronto on Wednesday. Be about, so that I can run you off down here; and I presume you will like this place. Has Colonel T. [Thompson] been able to procure the article? What about the G. F. [Greek fire]? I forgot to ask you if the composition does not require some time to saturate before it can be used. Inform. Please also send me a dozen of the finest waterproof caps along of Mr. McDonald's parcel. They are for the troops. Mr. M will likely acquaint you that an alteration has been made in the Gren [sic] form. I will show you a pattern when we meet.

Sincerely yours,

BENNETT BURLEY

DR. S. B. [JAMES T.] BATES,
Toronto.
Address just Adam Robertson, founder, Guelph.

The sub-enclosure I find interesting in relation to the NYC plot. Of course there is nothing to say the Greek fire was in anyway intended for the Confederate agents in NYC, it could have easily been intended for use elsewhere, perhaps the supposed intended attack of the Georgian against the fishing fleet. But the date does give time to suggest it might have had something to do with the agents in NYC.

Close Window