View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Tue Sep 17th, 2013 07:29 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

Brad Watson, Miami-

Regarding events in April of 1861, I fail to see how it corresponds to your apparent scenario that Robert E. Lee was offered command of the Union Army on 18 April.

Timeline . Robert E. Lee . American Experience . WGBH | PBS

In fact, some sources question whether or not Mr. Lincoln actually made a final decision to do more than sound out Colonel Lee on the subject. At any rate, the offer was apparently made by Mr. Blair on the 18th.

Lee Offered Command of the Union Army | Almost Chosen People

Similarly, the Virginia Convention voted to secede on 17 April, but it was subject to the ratification of the voters, which was done on 23 May.

Virginia in the American Civil War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am not inclined to try to verify all of your numbers written in your Post #1 on this thread. (I would be curious to see your list of 74 Revolutionary War generals, as sources vary). I can tell you, however, that I know a thing or two about the events of April of 1865. I can tell you, for example, that Mary Todd Lincoln was not present at Mr. Lincoln's bedside when he died. Perhaps you were confused by inaccurate prints such as the Currier and Ives: "Death of President Lincoln" found on the site below.

Antique Prints Blog: Prints as historical evidence: Lincoln’s deathbed

I can also tell you that General J.E. Johnston did not surrender his army to General W. T. Sherman on 17 April. As this Bennett Place site shows, a preliminary agreement was made by the two on 18 April (Some sources say that they first met on 17 April). The actual surrender, however, took place on 26 April.

Surrender Negotiations

Trying to bend historical facts to confirm to a preconceived agenda can be a huge (4) mistake (7).

Last edited on Tue Sep 17th, 2013 07:42 pm by Texas Defender

Close Window