View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Mon Sep 30th, 2013 08:52 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Don't know what bearing this has on the subject, but I decided to check the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion
for a possible crew roster for the Wabash. Didn't have high expectations and in the volume I looked in (Series I Volume XIV) I wasn't surprised to not see one. But I did find out that as of June 19, 1863 Wabash was the flagship of the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron (http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/cgi/t/text/pageviewer-idx?c=moawar;cc=moawar;q1=Wabash;rgn=full%20text;idno=ofre0014;didno=ofre0014;view=image;seq=0294). The Wikipedia article does put Du Pont as flag officer aboard the Wabash from 1861 to 1862, but if you scroll to page 265 and finish the letter of June, 19, 1863 you'll see it's signed by Du Pont, just like the letter of June 17th. Which puts Du Pont still on Wabash as of June 19, 1863.

But skipping ahead to page 305 there's a letter from July 1st putting Du Pont still on Wabash. This letter is important not for Du Pont but for positioning of blockade ships. We've got Wabash in Port Royal and Nantucket in Stono. So at a point between the 1863 enlistment of Francis Joshua and the records of his first muster roll aboard Nantucket we see where the two ships were located.

I'll see if I can' find where Nantucket was October 1, 1863, or there about.

Last edited on Mon Sep 30th, 2013 08:53 pm by Hellcat

Close Window