View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Tue Nov 12th, 2013 10:13 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

I don't deny it was unsuccessful. The Hunley is rightly credited with being the first sub to successfully sink an enemy warship ad the first sub to successfully carry out it's mission during time of war, or so I've heard the second claim. Obviously the first will always be right. Had Alligator been successful in her mission against the bridge then she'd get the title of the first sub to successfully carry out it's mission in time of warfare and Hunley would still be able to lay claim to the first sub to successfully sink an enemy warship.

In my mind there is room enough for both these subs in the annals of the war. And I think it would be interesting for Alligator to miraculously be discovered and brought up. To have both Hunley and Alligator brought up for study would be something. But problem is figuring out where exactly to look as the search area is already quite large if it's assumed she sank immediately after USS Sumpter cut her loose. And if she drifted for even an hour the search area expands quite a bit.

Close Window