View single post by djr1285
 Posted: Mon Dec 16th, 2013 03:27 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
djr1285
Dianne

Mana: 

Some Christmas entries from my research of the history of the 139th PA Volunteers:

December 25, 1862
I rote part of this yesterday and now sit down to finish it on Christmas morning after finishing a breakfast of iron pies and fat pork. I expect you had something good this morning but I am content with my breakfast although it is hard.
I am well off compared to some of the brave boys who were well off and in good heart some ten days ago. I hope you will have a merry day.
The boys is all well as far as I know. I think john belles was in the same fight that I was in. I heard the 63 Rgt was in ahead of us but I did not see him nor have I heard from him since I came to the army.

Preserve It Reader In Remembrance of Me
Bardnell pgs 38-39

December 1863
· Just after the men settled into their quarters near Brandy Station, Virginia, the holidays were upon them. While some, such as Albert Harper, managed to secure furloughs for Christmas and New Years, most of the men celebrated in Camp.
o On the twenty-eighth, William Dunlap wrote to his sister about the holiday meal. He told his sister, “I spent a plasant [sic] Christmas. I had bread, butter, sausage and .. tea.”
o Robert Guyton concurred with his friend from Perrysville, saying that “Christmas passed off pretty well here.” Nonetheless, Guyton also wrote home that, “some of the boys got a little too much Whiskey by some means and consequently there was a good many knock downs one place and another but I did not here of anybody being seriously hurt.”[4]
Sam Bartlett theses

Sunday Christmas Dec 25/ 64 - This is the birthday of our Saviour but we have paid very little attention to it in a religious way. Last night a party of officers from the 49th PA came to my quarters with the band and gave me some fine music. Just as they left a party of officers from the 37th Mass came and gave me a serenade. I invited them in and entertained them the best that I could. About midnight CO F (a new company) arrived in command of Capt John Jeffreys. This gives me six full Companies, and I now have one of the largest regiments in the brigade. About two oclock this morning I turned in for a sleep. This morning it being Sunday was well as Christmas we held our usual inspection, and then I took a ride and dined with some friends. It does not seem much like Sunday or Christmas, for the men are hauling logs to build huts. This is a work of necessity, for the quarters we have been using are not warm enough. This is my fourth Christmas in the army. I wonder if it will be my last.

Elisha Hunt Rhodes pg 194-195

Close Window