View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Mon Dec 23rd, 2013 11:56 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Returning to The Civil War Notebook of Daniel Chisholm, this time from the letters of Chisholm and his brother Alex. At this time Daniel Chisholm was a Corporal in Co. K 116th Pa and Alex was a sergeant. From page 141:

Decr 13th, 1864 -- Camp near Petersburg Va
Brother Alex's Letter

Dear Father,

I now seat myself to answer your last letter received Decr 12th, dated 5th Decr. It found me enjoying good health considering the weather. We have had some cold rainy weather lately and a small skift of snow. We left our quarters on the 9th and went up to the left, that I our division the 1st. It was to attract the Rebs attention so as to draw the force from Genl Warrens front down about Stony Creek, he had his Corps there and sure enough we did draw their attention. Genl Warren advanced some 20 miles and tore up some 20 miles of the South Side Rail Road and done some other damages. He has returned to camp.

Yesterday evening I got my Gloves, safe. I think $2.80 was a big price for such Gloves as those. They fit pretty well. You done better than I expected by Mr. Clawson. I suppose he hadn't done yet had he. I would like to have got a crack at that cousin of mine Peter as you call him, I would have put one Johnny out of the road.

I think we will be paid some time in next month. I have $150 coming next pay day. Good for that.

I just came in off Picket this morning. I went on yesterday morning. We have good times on Picket now to what we had before Petersburgh. We now and then see a Johnny at a distance lurking around like a wild beast in the forest. I can hardly hold my old rifle from bearing on them. Tell all my friends to write soon. This is all this time.

From Your Son -- Alex Chisholm.

Close Window