View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Mon Jan 6th, 2014 12:23 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well as a species it seems we do like accidents as long as we're not the ones involved. Even if you're not there to actually see the accident occur it seems that most of us have to turn and look when we come upon an accident to see how bad it was. Especially so when we see a wrecker, ambulance, and fire truck present at the scene as they are like a beacon that it's a bad accident and at least one car isn't going to be driving away. And it's not just accidents, either. How many people see fire trucks go by and wonder where their going? Of that number how many actually end up following to see where there going?

I believe we're attracted to death and destruction, and yet at the same time we hope we only see the destruction and not the death. I can remember reading years ago that some time in the late 19th century some showman found people were so drawn to train wrecks, in much the same way we seem to be drawn to car cashes, that they might pay to actually see two locomotives deliberately crashed into one another. They set it up, having the engineers and brakemen start everything running and supposed to leap from the engines well before they could crash into each other in a spectacular, and purposeful accident. And people actually paid good money to watch.

I think that interest in death and destruction, as a species, is what causes an interest in men like Booth, Oswald, Czolgosz, Guiteau, and Princip as well as men like Von Stauffenberg, Hinckley, Duran, Jaros, and Fedak. We do seem interested in assassins, especially if they were successful, their victims die relatively quickly, ad the act of assassination may have major repercussions. All the while we may find the assassin themselves disgusting the more we learn about them.

Last edited on Wed Jan 8th, 2014 11:28 am by Hellcat

Close Window