View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Mon Jan 13th, 2014 10:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Hellcat wrote:
It's one of the things we'll never know, how Jackson would have preformed had he lived. Let's assume Jackson's life remained the same up until May 10, 1863 and then on May 10th Jackson somehow survived. Would we be talking about the same Thomas J. Jackson from May 11, 1863 to June 23, 1865 (yeah, I'm picking the day after Jackson died to the day Stand Waite surrendered for my date range) as from the start of the war to his death? Or would Jackson have been different because of the friendly fire incident and the loss of his arm? Would he have been more aggressive to the point of ignoring what he himself had once said was the reasons for his success. According to Encyclopedia of the American Civil War Jackson said the reasons were:

Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy, if possible; and when you strike and overcome him, never let up in the pursuit so long as your men have the strength to follow; for an army routed, if hotly pursued, becomes panic-stricken, and can then be destroyed by half their number. The other rule is, never fight against heavy odds, if by any possible maneuvering you can hurl you own force on only a part, and that the weakest part, of your enemy and crush it. Such tactics will win every time, and a small army may thus destroy a large one in detail, and repeated victory will make it invincible.

If Jackson became so aggressive that he ignored his own advice for success would he have ended up more likely to loose because he had become too aggressive.

Sorry quoting myself from the
Would things have been different? thread discussed last May. But some of the particulars I posted I think have some bearing on this discussion when considering Jackson as commander of the Army of the Potomac or the Army of the Shenandoah instead of Beauregard or Johnston. That being Jackson's own reasons for his own success and the possibility of his ignoring his own advice.

We know the Army of Northern Virginia was routed and had to retreat from the battlefield. But were either the Army of the Potomac or the Army of the Shenandoah able to follow? In other words, did the men have the strength for pursuit of the routed ANV? Jackson himself said that as long as your men have the strength to pursue you should pursue and keep harassing the enemy so their soldiers become panic stricken. A panic stricken enemy is unlikely to retain enough morale to stand and fight.

Ultimately like Johan Steele says, I don't think either side was really in any kind of shape when the battle ended. The same argument as asked concerning Gettysburg and Meade and the Army of the Potomac's failure to immediately follow Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia hotly enough to potentially destroy the ANV before it crossed back into Virginia could be asked here.

Close Window