Posted: Mon Jan 20th, 2014 06:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Old Blu

Mana: 

Hellcat wrote: Blue-Eyed Child of Fortune pages 273 to 274:

Fairfax Station
Dec. 30, 1862
Dear Mother,

This morning I wrote a short note to father, and having been "hauled up" very suddenly by departure of the mail, I didn't tell him that our sutler got the "Napier" and the cigars in Hagerstown, a few days ago.

I am very anxious to hear how Aunt Susan bears Theodore's death. What a terrible thing it must be for the! When I think what an affliction Susie's death was to her, it seems as if this would kill her. Why should he be killed a month after leaving home, while I have been out for twenty months without a scratch? It must be all chance; for if he had lived, he would probably have done more good in the world than ever shall.

The Rebel cavalry passed within three miles of here, while we were away, and we heard that all out luggage had been destroyed. They say that the Rebel commander telegraphed from the station below this to General Meigs, that "The last lot of mules received from him wasn't quite up to the mark, and he would like to have him attend to it"!

It was mild weather Christmas, so we could take our dinner out of doors without much discomfort. To-night it is cold and drizzly, but we have to take our supper out of doors just the same. We are fast putting up some log-huts, in which all hands will be comfortable, if we don't move before they are finished. One of our men has had his toes frostbitten, though we are in the "Sunny South."

Wasn't Burnside's report to the committee an honest account? It doesn't give any one any great idea of his military ability, but he must be a real good man.

Isn't it strange that Joe and Theodore, both so near to us, should have been killed in battles in which the loss was so small compared to the numbers engaged? At Fredericksburg there are so many slightly wounded and so few killed, that I think the enemy must be reduced to buckshot. The proportion of killed to wounded is usually one to four. It was much less at Fredericksburg.

I suppose you saw Annie when she was in New York. I have no herd from her for some time. Thank Susie for her comforting letter.

Your loving Son

I guess the Confederate Cavalry be Mosby with that smart answer!! :D

Close Window