View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Thu May 8th, 2014 11:07 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

You think you might have offended folks, RebelRouser. I just took a look at my post and at that first sentence and realized what I said was not quite what I meant. I actually wasn't trying to say Grant was a great general because of Lee's surrender but rather he is viewed that way because of it, and hopefully some got the inference from the rest of my post. Today many seem to consider Grant a great general merely because he was the general Lee surrendered to. Go back and look at his performance in the western theater of the war, all that seems to be largely ignored in comparison to what happened after he came east. And even most of what happened between him and Lee is largely ignored in favor of the events at Appomattox Court House. I'd be willing to bet that if you went out on the street and asked folks if they thought Grant was a great general and why that seven out of every ten would say yes. And their why would be Lee's surrender. "Yeah, Grant was a great general because he beat Lee." That is, of course, if they even understand what you're talking about.

Close Window