View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sat May 10th, 2014 03:08 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

RebelRouser wrote:
When he was stymied, he would try something else. He was aggressive, and he was persistent.

Exactly. I've said he was a bulldog. Wondering has said to give him tenacity first. You've said aggressive and persistent. At the moment I'm thinking of Lincoln's famous quote from when folk were trying to pressure him to get rid of Grant following Shiloh. "I can't spare this man, he fights." Of course at that time the Peninsula Campaign had really only just started. As yet there had been Williamsurg, no Seven Days, no Second Bull Run(Manassas), no Antietam (Sharpsburg), no Frederiksberg, no Chancellorsville. And no Lee.

Yeah, I know where Lee was at the time. I also know he had already suffered a pair of defeats (Philippi at the hands of Rosecrans and Cheat Mountain at the hands of Reynolds in June and September 1861). But if you think about it, Lee really wasn't the name we think of today, that didn't happen until he took over for Johnston as commander of he Army of Northern Virginia. At that point the war in the east pretty much became destroy/defeat Lee, which is why I say "and no Lee."

Close Window