View single post by wondering
 Posted: Fri May 23rd, 2014 04:25 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
wondering

Mana: 

Meigs "ruined" forever the property of his former mentor -- why? I admit "poetic justice" is inaccurate, despite one soldier's strategic significance in the loss of so many others, to the point they began burying them in his backyard. A war was on. Similarly he who stands up for guiding principles, takes the road less travelled, may also sacrifice much his heart holds dear in defence of liberty. It is poetry, but it was not just.

In war those of rank must take stands, and I confess I have pondered it awhile. Meigs felt justified. I do see the hurt he caused, inconscionable shenanigans, as did courts later. He didn't have to plant the rose garden, most probably shouldn't have. It was a personal attack, beyond the pale, sanctioned by committee.

War is hell: and unfortunately the side with the meanest Quartermaster often wins. I still believe R.E. Lee would be proud of Arlington today. He was blue chip, proved it -- not by forgetting, but by forgiving. I dare say Washington himself may well have approved such a resting place for soldiers sacrificed by his nation. Sadly, the history of the western world is primarily one big land dispute.

Thanks for keeping me honest, Tex.

Close Window