View single post by susansweet
 Posted: Sun Dec 10th, 2006 05:04 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet

Mana: 

Patty those pictures were so inspiring .  Made me wish I could be there , but I am n California to far to go or one night. 
I envy you living so close to all the battlefields so you can wandered the ground often. 

I got bitten with the Civil War bug four years ago as I drove cross country when I saw a sign that said Pea Ridge as I was headed up to Missouri to see a friend.  I said to myself, that's a Civil War Battlefield I should see it .  A few hours later I was hooked. 

Next stop was Wilson's Creek.  I bought two books . Life of Johnny Reb and Life of Billy Yank. When I got home I signed up for a adult school class for seniors on the Civil War. 

The class was taught at the high school.  It was mainly watching videos once a week. I was the one madly taking notes on everything.  I took the second half in the winter .

Then  I took off east again , this time I planned my whole cross country trip to see as many battlefields as I could in two months. I started at Fort Yuma and worked my way to  Fort Jefferson Davis in Texas and so on all the way to the coast and back home stopping off at Glorietta Pass. 

When I got home I found the Civil War Round Table and Drum Barracks at a reenactment here in Huntington Beach.  The rest as they say is history. 

Close Window