View single post by Hellcat
 Posted: Sat Aug 2nd, 2014 04:19 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Hellcat
Root Beer Lover

Mana: 

Well, looks like I've got at least four sources to look at. This fourth one is Confederate Soldier of the American Civil War: A Visual Reference by Denis Hambucken and Matthew Payson and they spell it Coosh. Page 53:

"Coosh" Recipe

Fry bacon till the pan is half full of hot grease. Mix flour with water until it flows like milk. Pour mixture into the hot grease and stir rapidly till the whole is a dirty brown mixture with the consistency of thick gravy. The coosh is now ready to be served. You can use boiled grits or cornmeal instead of flour and add bits of bacon, pork, onion, or other vegetables. Fry it all together into a mash.

Coosh and countless variations soon became favorites of soldiers on the march. Coosh was easy and quick to make, tasty, and filling

Now looking in the index it says both slosh and coosh are on page 53, but this is the only writing on the page. If I hadn't already posted that bit about cush and slosh being different names for the dish from Davis's book, I'd have to wonder what slosh was.

As for this version of cush, I'm not sure had I read it first I'd even want to try it. First, how big is the pan that's half full of grease? That could be WAY to much bacon grease for me. Second, mix flour and water till they flow like milk? Is there even enough flour in this dish if it's flowing like water? And then I want it to be a dirty brown? Now I enjoy dirty rice, but I'm not sure if I were trying to get someone to try it I'd describe it as being dirty brown in color. Even gravies I probably wouldn't describe as dirty brown in color. That sounds unappealing. Ultimately this sounds more like a gravy, especially as you're cooking it to the consistency of thick gravy, until you get to the part about substituting grits or cornmeal. Actually, the grits sounds a little closer to red-eye gravy as my mom taught it to me. And the cornmeal sounds a little more like starting the recipe I use for making Indian Pudding, except I don't put in bacon grease. But I suppose both the grits and cornmeal could be used in making gravy too.

Last edited on Sat Aug 2nd, 2014 04:20 am by Hellcat

Close Window