View single post by Zod
 Posted: Tue Dec 12th, 2006 01:04 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Zod

Mana: 

Johan Steele wrote: I think it fails in one very important aspact... it fails to recognize that the AoP was rather instrumental in the defeat of Lee's plans (whatever they may "really" have been).

The Union left & right bent but did not break, the center held & Lee was soundly defeated and never again took the offensive.  I think the Union Army had something to do with it.

"I think the Union Army had something to do with it."- I've heard that before.  It has a certain ring to it.

Yes, the book does little to recognize the mettle of dem Yankees opposing the frontal assault.  Who the hell really knows the effect of double cannister?  But the argument is plain.  Stuart had 6,000 calvalry soldiers (an additional 1,000).  The long-held belief was of left-flank protection.  But the area of engagement is some two miles away from Culp's Hill (Carhart got me, I've never been to East Calvalry Field, "Bonnie-Howton" Road).  The road network in this area shows a path leading right back to Culp's and Cemetery Hill's and Cemetery Ridge.  Lee (and those he studied) showed an abnormal ability to coordinate well-timed attacks.  It is very possible that, if successful, Stuart's men engage the rear of the Union right on Culp's and Cemetery Hill's and Cemetery Ridge at a point just before the Trimble-Pickett-Pettigrew attack forms en echelon near the Emmitsburg Road (?).

Just imagine the effect of these calvalry on the artillery batteries in the area.  The effect on Webb and perhaps, ultimately, even Sedgewick behind Little Round Top. 

I have not reached the conclusion of the book but it poses another "what if" and "by chance" that keeps us all in the game, willing to attempt preservation against the march of time.

I have to ask this, has anyone had the opportunity to fire an old Spencer rifle?  That sommabitch looks like it gets hot in a hurry.

Close Window