View single post by javal1
 Posted: Tue Nov 1st, 2005 09:21 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

STEPHEN DYER WAKEFIELD, 53, of Memphis, formerly of Terre Haute, IN, passed away Saturday, October 29, 2005 at Select Specialty Hospital in Memphis. Funeral mass will be said 11 a.m. Tuesday, November 1, at Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church, 3700 Thomas St., with interment to follow at 2:30 p.m. in Antioch Cemetery in Hornbeak, TN. Mr. Wakefield was a labor/employment attorney with Wyatt, Tarrant and Combs. He was a member of the Trial Attorneys Association, and a Fellow of the American College of Trial Attorneys. He attended West Point, and he was a graduate of the University of Indiana School of Law where he was Phi Beta Kappa. He was also a member of Cleburnes Civil War Historical Group. He is survived by his wife of 23 years, Marsha; his daughter, Jenny and her husband, Donny; his brother, R.V. Wakefield, and his mother-in-law, Jennie Davis. The family requests memorial contributions, in lieu of flowers, to Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church. Memphis Funeral Home Poplar Chapel 901-725-0100

Folks, as we get on in life, we lose friends... it's a given. But once in awhile the wounds drive deeper than usual. This one is tearing me up. Steve - aka AoT - was a cherished soul and we considered it an honor to call him friend. There are some here that will remember our time together in 1999, at our first muster. AoT gave us a tour of Shiloh that I have never forgotten.

He handled the final stages of his life with dignity and even nobility. I know many of you didn't know him. Trust me when I say that that is your loss. One of the last times I saw him he was dancing away with another friend in some bar in Chattanooga, as we all laughed and drank way too much. He was a friend to us, and to the community we have here. He will be sorely missed.

Close Window