View single post by ole
 Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2007 04:18 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

I think Shiloh is a poor example of Grant's defensive capabilities. He made many mistakes in that battle, and the nature of the battle (lack of command and control on both sides, inexperienced troops) leads me to believe the battle is a credit to the individual soldier on both sides more than it is to the Generals on either side (an argument that can be made for any battle surely, but perhaps more so with Shiloh).
Thanks for coming back Orphan. I'd be a bit hard put to call Grant's defense at Shiloh a  poor example. If I'm not in gross error here, it was his only example. So far as mistakes in that battle, I'd be interested in seeing an example of who did not make mistakes -- on either side. Now, as to the credit belonging to the grunt, I will most enthusiastically second the motion. Of the thousands on both sides, very few had shot at, or had been shot at by, another man. Some of WHL Wallace's command had been at Ft. Donelson. Some Confederates had been at Mill Springs. It's remarkable that of the number who were seeing the elephant for the first time, so many of them waged such a fierce battle.

Also, Grant sieze the initiative and not let go? The same, I think,  can also be said about Lee.
Most certainly! One of the basic axioms of active military command is to never, ever let the opposition dictate the terms. If he calls the shots, you are playing with 3 cards in a 5 card game. You might get three of a kind, but the odds are against you.

Thanks for the exchange. Shall we continue?

Ole

Close Window