View single post by Kentucky_Orphan
 Posted: Mon Jan 8th, 2007 04:39 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

Ole:

You are correct about Shiloh being the only tangible example of Grant fighting a defensive battle. I'm sure he made preparations to intercept any forces trying to relieve Vicksburg, for example, but no confederate force capable of breaking such a sieze ever seriously attempted that feat.

I should have been more clear in my last post. It seems that you got the impression I was condemning Grant. That was not my intention. Everyone was inexperienced in that battle, even those who were veterans, like Grant, of the Mexican war. True, he had seen combat, but no General officer at Shiloh had experience in fighting a battle of that scale and commanding such large numbers of troops.

Obviously, taking the offensive in such conditions would be much more difficult than assuming a defensive role, so I think that must be taken into account as well.

So, to be more clear on the matter, let me offer this: We can assume, as I do, that Grant would have done well on the defensive... but I don't think we have a battle that really illustrates this in the same way other Generals have.

Awaiting your thoughts...

Close Window