View single post by Kentucky_Orphan
 Posted: Thu Jan 11th, 2007 05:14 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

I have read countless books on the American Civil War, and this book remains my favorite.

The book, The Gleam of Bayonets: The Battle of Antietam and Robert E. Lee's Maryland Campaign, is a classic. Recently reintroduced with a new introduction and foreward, it remains the definitive work on the immediate lead-up, the battle, and the aftermath of the battle of Antietam.

James V. Murfins narrative is immensely "readable" and conatains incredible depth. The characters in this, perhaps the most important single battle of the war, are brought to life in such a way that it is impossible not to empathize with the men on both sides.

The military, human, and political aspects of this campaign are all discussed in detail in a way that novices to the subject matter will understand and more "read" CW history enthusiasts will be page-turning all night. A more stirring account of battle, in my mind, has never been published. 

From the Generals to the private, all the characters in the great drama are examined. It is a testament to the author that it remains the definitive work on the subject despite the fact it was published in 1965 (many other books on the subject matter, many excellent books in their own right, have been published since).

I HIGHLY recomend this book to any with the time and interest in the subject, and I promise no one will be dissapointed.

Close Window