View single post by Johnny Huma
 Posted: Sat Jan 13th, 2007 03:49 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johnny Huma
Johnny Huma

Mana: 

I agree that this will do nothing but add to the negative views of how the flag is seen. It is unfortunate that there are people out there who use this flag as hate or terror symbol. These people are those who usually know nothing of the Civil War but see that the KKK uses it as a hate or terror symbol. I do not think it will ever change as it is now set in the minds of people that this flag is a hate symbol. Only knowledge can change how one views this flag. This is viewed as the flag of rebellion. Our own American Flag is not although it was a flag of rebellion which became a flag of the Nation. Afro Americans were slaves under this flag much longer than they were under the Stars and Bars. If you see someone wearing this flag on a T-shirt they usually look like they are a rebellious type of individual. Motorcycle gangs have used it displayed on thier jackets and flying it off the backs of thier bikes. These are not guys you approach and ask for help. So the negative effects also come from these type of individuals. We as people who study History on this site and are caught up in the why's where's and when's and who's, it does not bother because we view it from the Historical aspect. I do not believe in today's world you could change the thinking of a majority of the people on how they view this flag. If you took a survey I believe you would find there are a lot more people who would rather the flag go away than to understand the History behind what it was...

Huma

Close Window