View single post by calcav
 Posted: Sat Jan 13th, 2007 09:30 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
calcav

Mana: 

Swamp Shadow:

I have to agree with Ole; I work at Shiloh.

If you come down for a visit you should start at our new visitor center, the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center in Corinth, MS. We are located 23 miles southwest of the main battlefield. An understanding of the Battle of Shiloh begins with the strategic railroad junction here in Corinth. We have three rooms of exhibits (many interactive), a room for artifacts, two films (one on the Battle of Shiloh the other on the October '62 Battle of Corinth), a public research library and a bookstore. We are located at the site of Battery Robinett, a Union earthwork and the scene of heavy fighting during the battle. The Center's exhibits cover the causes of the war, Mississippi's seccesion, the Battle of Shiloh, earthworks, hospitals, the Siege of Corinth, the Union occupation, the Battle of Corinth, the nearby contraband camp, and the recuitment of black soldiers in the area. We have maps available of the numerous earthworks and historic homes in the area as well as directions to the nearby battlefields of Iuka, MS and Davis Bridge, TN. And of course we can get you up to our main park up at Shiloh, 4200 acres which comprise 95% of the original battlefield. The field is dotted with 157 monuments, 215 artillery pieces and over 600 troop position markers. The Shiloh visitor center also has a wonderful museum which is geared heavily toward artifacts.

If you decide to come down this way and would like help planning a day or two in the area call me at the Corinth visitor center at 662-287-9273.

Calcav (Tom Parson, Park Ranger)

Close Window