View single post by sjh
 Posted: Sun Jan 14th, 2007 12:21 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
sjh

Mana: 

When I started this thread, I should have indicated that I am a northerner.  But I do not have negative feelings about the Confederate battle flag. It does not bother me in the least that several Civil War prints on my walls feature the battle flag in some way (I even have one with-gulp-Forrest!). It's unfortunate that Kentucky Orphan's friends from the north have been so influenced by the negativity associated with the flag.

Not all of us are like that. My wife and I are huge Lee/Jackson fans. We have paid homage to them in Lexington, VA and she gets downright nasty when anyone says something negative about Lee. If I was a southerner and had an ancestor who fought in the war, the flag to me would be a tremendous symbol of pride, fortitude, courage, and honor. That is not to say that I think that slavery was a good thing and should have been perpetuated.

It may seem like a lost cause (no pun intended) but flag advocates should continue to point out the positive aspects of the battle flag and combat the negativity of in- tolerant people who preach tolerance.

Close Window